Saturday, June 1, 2013

Pickpocket

As some of my friends know, I lost my real cell phone the day before I left for Ecuador. This was inconvenient, but not disastrous. Today, I was lent a cell phone by EcuaExplora, a business in Quito that helps various internship organizations plan on-the-ground logistics. It was a cheap thing, worth around $20 in Ecuador. Later in the day, we took the public bus to “Old Quito”, the historic district. For my Dukies, imagine the 10:05 C-1 freshman year, but worse. Long story short, I failed to keep my hands in my pants pockets as I exited the bus and someone most likely grabbed my phone then. QuiteƱo pickpockets are very skilled at their profession (or hobby, or addiction. Kleptomania is the real deal). I was first surprised, then sad, then very impressed.

Thoughts:
According to my tourguide from today, an iPhone can go for $1,200 USD in Ecuador. And this is in a country where the dollar is much more powerful than it is in the US (the currency here is the USD). Unfortunately for the current owner of my cell phone, my phone may sell on the street for $20, the equivalent of about five decent meals. I’m sure the pickpocket was hoping for a better phone when he dipped into my pocket. The most uncomfortable thing about this experience is how it has made me feel like a cash cow. And a productive one at that. Many people here live off of the money I spend on a vacation. I don't want to be grouped in with all the other wealthy tourists, traveling for weeks at a time so that they can "see the world". I want to have a REAL experience. To be DIFFERENT (this is an attempt to sarcastically reveal how similar I am to all the other tourists in Quito, despite my ironic desire to be authentic). 

Granted, the incredible amount of money that goes toward my worldly experience provides many people with respectable jobs. Nonetheless, it is disturbing to actually face a person (or not face them, as they take something from my pocket) that makes a living off of my luxury spending. 


    
In other news: I have made my first thoughtless food choice (milk in the coffee). And I’ve realized that three outfits and two t-shirts is not enough clothes for 10 weeks here.


No comments:

Post a Comment